Thursday, August 19, 2010

Let's clear the air shall we?

 Warning: Philosophical bull-roar ahead....

Before we go any further here I need the air too be good and breathable. Real clean like.

Writing blogs is not something I have believed in. I am from the old school. I shuddered at the thought of reading about people's cats, ferrets, or meanderings of lameness. I don't understand star power of "celebrity" just as I don't understand "reality T.V." (even though I have been a guilty partaker of both). I disagree with the glorification of really really stupid stupid people (strong use of adjectives there Olthuis). I don't comprehend why I want to inundate my already extremely full and, at times, hectic life with the issues of people whom are not near and dear to my heart.

So with that, I didn't understand WHY I would want to read about other people's lives, or more importantly, why ANYONE would want to read about mine. I must confess, I'm still trying to work through the latter. But as for the former: recently, my goddess friend Kristan turned me on to her cousin's blog. And during extremely slow bouts at work I have taken to reading about this woman's wonderfully normal, warm, and full life.

I fell in love.

Not in a sexual way (you filthy dog), but I fell in love with her life anecdotes, birth of her child, her incredible talent for knitting, and her general humour and outlook on life. It filled me with hope, warmth, and an overall sense of well-being. I began CRAVING it. It was my daily companion as I learned about her life over the past 5 years.

This discovery conincided with some other thoughts which have been floating in and around my brainizoid. Including the fact that our society at its very core comes from a small tribe of story-tellers. We have obviously evolved and grown away from it. But I believe that our need to connect to celebrities (earned status or otherwise) comes from our need to connect with eachother. I believe that in this fiercely technological envrionment we actually are all craving life stories and understanding. Like my discovery at 24 years old, that every mid 20s person in my life was suffering a quarter life crisis. It's easy to feel alone in our glories and struggles when we don't talk to eachother anymore.

SO I've actually taken on a personal mission of putting this out there. I want to share with everyone my eureka moments, my falling downs, and my average everyday world. I want to find my "happy" place. In that, I'm terrified that I'm being self-indulgent, I've decided to say FUCK IT. I have opinions, and I'm funny, if I wanted to read about someone I've never met, and I felt BETTER about my OWN life, then what's to say that couldn't happen again.

Alright. How we doing? I feel better. Do you? I hope so. So now that my insecurity hymen cracked across the interweb, I think we can charge on with the fun and excitement that is the human condition. WELCOME TO MY BRAIN!!! GAAAAA.




hUZZah!

1 comment:

  1. Heidi Montag's website scares me and I'm sad that I've visited it......I place the blame on you though since you posted it. Bagh!

    ReplyDelete